You will not regret investing the time needed to read this article. Written in 2005, it provides a great overview of distraction in the modern workplace and some of the approaches people take to deal with it.
It provides relevant insights for knowledge workers in the 21st century:
- embracing and managing interruption as a necessary part of our jobs as opposed to a nuisance to be eliminated
- some caveats for distributed teams that need to be acknowledged and accommodated
- use of GTD as a technique for managing distraction / interruptions
- justification for larger/multiple computer monitors
- recognizing the reality of “continuous partial attention”