How to stop CVS automated prescription calls

** Update March 1, 2014 **

Jeremy (in the comments below) pointed out that the second number is to opt out of that annoying reminder that your prescription is ready. Presumably you already know when it will be available and you just happen to not be able to immediately run out and pick it up. It will keep for a few days…

** End Update **

It’s a minor annoyance but when my phone rings it’s because it’s somebody I want to talk with, or there is a problem at work. I don’t want to be called because I might need a prescription refill or there is one ready and waiting for me.

For some reason there are two numbers you need to call. The first one is absolutely simple:

To opt out of the refill reminder calls dial 1-866-514-4965. It will default to opting the number you called from out but will ask to confirm this and ask for any additional numbers.

Not sure why, but the second one needs for you to speak with a person:

To opt out of the prescription ready reminders dial 1-800-746-7287, you’ll need to yell “more options” into your phone and then yell “Opt out of reminders” to be taken to a person who will remove your number(s) for you.

I suppose it’s a useful reminder for some folks but I prefer to keep track of my own stuff.

Posted under Retail Experiences

This post was written by Marc
on March 15, 2012 at 9:38 am

73,550 views

27 Comments so far

1. AJL March 26, 2016 9:15 pm

THANK YOU.

I won’t go back to CVS again.

2. Trinty April 20, 2016 12:21 pm

This service is not about helping customers. It’s about CVS making money. I have opted out of reminder calls several times and still receive them. 1-800-746-7287 I yelled and the computer didn’t understand me. Got a human that said she removed my number from future calls. Found several places online that speak of customer frustration about this program. Some of my medications will not allow me to opt out of refill services unless i speak with the pharmacist. then after that release I can archive my old meds and stop this insanity. Some current medications that I don’t need to refill every time are more difficult to remove form the system than others. I would switch pharmacy’s but this one is conveniently located.

3. rock May 5, 2016 5:55 pm

Thank you for posting this article. I absolutely hate CVS but my insurance company has a deal with them so i have to deal with them. They truly (insert bad word here). Both numbers posted in the article work and you don’t need to talk to a human in either case or at least i didn’t… Thanks again

4. Michele May 6, 2016 11:16 am

OH MY GOD THANK YOU! Almost every day CVS was calling me to remind me that a refill (which I didn’t request) was ready. Both of these numbers worked. Thank you Thank you Thank you!

5. Vivi May 21, 2016 12:44 pm

Thank you for this information. I only use CVS once a year, when visiting family in another state where it’s the only pharmacy close by. These calls drive me CRAZY! I have asked NUMEROUS times to be removed, and it works for a few months, then they pick me up again, somehow.

Oh- and it should be noted the human contact version ONLY works M-F during their business hours.

6. Deb June 18, 2016 5:24 pm

Thank you!!!! I got a new # in October of 2015 and every week/sometimes daily I’ve been getting these calls for someone that their prescription is ready. You would think after 9 months CVS would realize…..this person is not coming.

7. Pam June 30, 2016 8:41 am

Most phone systems today can block numbers. I used to get these annoying calls from Walgreens regularly. I simply blocked the number. It’s been many months and so far I have not been bothered by these unwanted and unrequested calls!

8. Marc Shechtman July 22, 2016 9:28 am

Thank you!! It was easy to stop the calls (at least it was easy to tell the computer to stop them), but without your blog I never would have figured out how to do it. The calls were driving me crazy.

9. Kim July 24, 2016 6:33 pm

I’m on vacation so don’t want to refill my presc now and I get this damn call twice a day. Funny thing is if I DO renew it via CVS when I get there all I get is blank looks. Every time. I have to have my doctors office call it over every single time.

10. Tony Anderson August 17, 2016 10:19 am

THANK YOU!!!

Apparently that comment is too short. So, here is some random crap to make it long enough. Maybe.

11. Marleen August 30, 2016 10:20 am

Thank you! I have been getting around fifteen calls a month, some of them regarding an allergy prescription I only filled once. It gets to a point where it’s like harassment.

12. Mandy September 2, 2016 7:53 am

8:30 am – 7:30pm ET M-F is their current business hours.

Opt out of reminders usually doesn’t get heard, just keep pressing 0 to speak with an agent

13. Jc September 22, 2016 3:40 pm

Today the woman in front of me said her calls from CVS are a real nuisance…. They won’t stop calling. The tech said they get numerous examples calls every day with people asking the pharmacy to remove them from the list. They can’t do it for us,but imagine all the time lost answering these calls. Can’t imagine it brings in enough business to justify the method. I went on the website on my IPad, impossible to cancel the annoying calls. I called on the line suggested above, what a pain! They shouldn’t make it so difficult to opt out.

14. Israel Contreras September 27, 2016 10:40 am

Thank you for providing 1-866-514-4965 to opt out of prescription reminder calls. A text message is much more convenient – and less annoying. Thank you!

15. Artemesia October 20, 2016 3:56 pm

I called and stopped the calls and now I am in Europe and they are calling again repeatedly — each of these calls goes to voicemail and costs me big bucks. We had one last year where their autodialer didn’t turn off the call (even though we didn’t answer — since they come in at 3 am); that call cost about $40. I am about to stop using CVS for my prescriptions due to this. I have done what they tell me to do and yet they restart the annoying calls after I turn them off.

16. Adrianne October 24, 2016 8:56 am

The firs number works ( 1-866-514-4965). Thank you so much for posting it. I used to get calls everyday at my job for the indivudial I replaced. It was extremely annoying getting calls every day…from CVS…for someone else!

17. Holly B Gambill October 25, 2016 9:32 pm

@Adrianne – I changed pharmacies back to Walgreens because of CVS’s underhanded practices. They continued to call and would leave messages for ” my name ‘do not call.'” Several times when I went to pick up a prescription they had filled others not requested. Once they even went so far as to call my Dr office to request a refill on an expired medication I didn’t request. They use these tactics to make extra money from those who don’t speak up and refuse to pay for things not ordered. I’ll never use CVS again!!

18. Joy Klein January 2, 2017 9:28 am

866-514-4965 is not a # for CVS. The second # provided is the toll free CVS line. It was very simple to opt out, no yelling in to the phone was required. Don’t know why people feel the need to use this link to bash CVS. Sad to say, I guess it’s just human nature. CVS is the only local pharmacy who gets the billing correct for our grandson, who has a primary and secondary source of insurance. They’ll keep our business. Just don’t need reminders of Rx refills or pick-up.

19. Mary January 5, 2017 10:09 am

CVS text reminders are useless and annoying. Two times in the past week, CVS has sent a text to me about the same prescription to be refilled. Both times I responded “yes”. Both times the prescription is not refilled even days later. The problem is that you do not refill via telephone believing that the text message resolves it and then you’re out of your prescription after multiple trips to the store. Recommendation:Opt out!

20. john January 23, 2017 9:15 am

Thank you! These are so annoying. I have stopped them before, and they still start sending them again. This time I went to both numbers you provided, however i had to scream as loud as possible to get their voice system to understand me.

See if this works now. Thanks!

21. Kathy February 1, 2017 12:07 pm

This has been an ongoing problem for me too. Today, I finally blocked their phone number. Not sure if it will work, but fingers are crossed.

22. Kathy February 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Update: almost 2 weeks have passed and I have received no calls from CVS snce blocking their number on my cell phone.

23. John K February 15, 2017 9:10 am

Thank you for this info! I’ll wait and see what happens. If it doesn’t work, I’ll use Kathy’s idea and block their number! Thanks again to all.

24. Alaine March 8, 2017 10:26 am

Bless you for that information!!

25. Tammy April 11, 2017 2:26 pm

Thanks for the phone number to remove me from automated calls. It worked. I actually like CVS pharmacy. One just opened up across the street from me, and the phermacy staff call me by my first name now. They are very friendly and competent.

26. Sierra April 17, 2017 12:32 pm

Make sure to also report them to the FCC if they continue to call you or if you didn’t sign up for calls in the first place.

27. Chris July 15, 2017 12:46 pm

I called in two prescription’s 3 days ago and one had asked if I wanted CVS to call my doctor to renew, I said yes and automation said they would call when it was ready. They called on Friday and said it was ready for pick up. I went to pick up on Saturday and only one script was ready. Why they bother calling if the whole order is not ready is beyond me. Sign me spitting nails!