Battle of the Chocolate Milks – Kroger Chocolate Lowfat Milk

Originally I had intended to only use whole milk offerings of the chocolate kind. But Michelle very kindly decided to pick up some samples for me recently while she was in Kroger and they simply didn’t have any. So I’ve expanded my evaluation to include low fat offerings as well.

The first one I tried was “Kroger Chocolate Lowfat Milk”.

The color was OK, but rather predictably it was somewhat watery. The taste also tended toward the bittersweet end of the spectrum.

Do you remember those wonderful, creamy fudgesicles you used to get when you were younger? Well this is instead more like those crappy, watery knock-offs that your parents used to be able to buy by the dozen at the supermarket.

Verdict: Unsatisfying.

Mayfield is still the drink of choice.

Posted under Gastronomy, Opinions

This post was written by Marc
on June 24, 2010 at 9:02 am

9,365 views

6 Comments so far

1. Bryan October 18, 2012 9:14 pm

I challenge you to pick up another bottle, the one you had wasnt very good. Everyone I know that likes chocolate milk says either Kroger or nothing. No Trumoo, no nesquik, or even this “Mayfield” chocolate milk.. its been a couple years since this was posted and they have changed their formula

2. Linda Brooks January 31, 2013 4:15 pm

I have tried all of the above chocolate milks and NONE of them come even close to Kroger Low Fat Chocolate Milk. I love it!
    When I go out of town I take a gallon of Kroger milk with me.

3. max February 12, 2013 5:36 am

I’m drinking some right now, usually go through 2 gallons every few days…it’s really the best chocolate milk on the market, no if’s and’s or butt’s about it.

4. Tim March 1, 2013 4:58 pm

I too am drinking Kroger low fat chocolate milk right now. The only other chocolate milk that comes close to tasting this good is Borden. Promised Land chocolate milk is good as well, but I have never seen it sold by the gallon. Kroger is simply the best.

5. Jacob December 1, 2015 11:12 am

Best chocolate milk ever!

6. Brad August 17, 2016 3:10 am

Kroger 1% (lowfat) chocolate milk hits it on the head. Dairymens has flavor right but is terribly diluted.